A brief history by Rodney and Yvonne Dawson
Jasper's has an interesting history. It was originally built as two cottages and is recorded as such in the deeds of Whitbread Wessex who used to own the property. The staircase of one cottage now leads to the owners' flat above the restaurant, but the other staircase was removed to make room for the bar.
The oldest known deeds go back as long ago as August 1824. It changed hands several times during the next few years and was then acquired by William Gloyne, a brewer, in 1867. He was given possession at a yearly rent of 2s 7d (13 NEW PENCE).
William Gloyne was at the time also the landlord of the "Live and Let Live" public house in Hollow Lane. In 1871 he purchased the property which is now Jasper's Restaurant. It continued as the "Barley Mow" public house under a number of owners and landlords and was then bought by Whitbread in 1971. In 1974 the public house was moved to larger premises on the corner of Station Road, the present "Barley Mow".
The old pub was then converted to a licensed restaurant called "The Three Musketeers". It remained so until Whitbread sold it in 1981.
After that and for a short time it was known as "The Lady Hamilton" it was then bought by a Mrs Barrel who renamed it "Ma Bakers" after the house where Bonnie and Clyde, the famous American gangsters, lived. It continued as "Ma Bakers" from 1985 when it was purchased by Harry and Danny Rogers until 1999, after which we the current owners purchased the property and created "Jasper's"
The name "Jasper's" came from a well known restaurant on Kew Green by Kew Gardens called "Jasper's Bun in the Oven". The then owners Paul and Penny Corvosso who were well known to us sold the premises to a multi national company called "Browns" therefore we were able to use the name Jasper's.