A brief history by Rodney and Yvonne Dawson
Jasper’s has an interesting history. It was originally built as two cottages and is recorded as such in the deeds of Whitbread Wessex who used to own the property. The staircase of one cottage now leads to the owners’ flat above the restaurant, but the other staircase was removed to make room for the bar.
The oldest known deeds go back as long ago as August 1824. It changed hands several times during the next few years and was then acquired by William Gloyne, a brewer, in 1867. He was given possession at a yearly rent of 2s 7d (13 NEW PENCE).